The State Government has rescheduled the installation of the permanent anti throw screens on the Southern Expressway this weekend to ensure substitute buses taking cricket fans to the Test Match are able to run as quickly as possible.
These important works will now take place on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights (7 – 10 December) meaning the Southern Expressway will be open during the day to commuters.
Works have been planned in this way to maintain the original schedule for the remainder of these important safety works for other bridges along the Southern Expressway.
By programming the works in this way, it means we can keep the Southern Expressway open on the weekend of 21-23 December, an important retail weekend heading into Christmas.
“The State Government is taking measures to ensure that crickets fans who will be catching a substitute bus to the Test Match have as quick and smooth a commute as possible,” said Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Local Government Stephan Knoll.
“Since announcing the unavoidable closure of the train network this weekend, the State Government has worked with SACA to implement a comprehensive substitute bus timetable.
“We will have more buses running more frequently during peak periods than trains were going to be for the 10 to 15 per cent of cricket fans who use the service to get to Adelaide Oval.
“This is set to be a great Test Match and SACA have said that they’re hopeful we will get a record crowd against India at Adelaide Oval.”
7-11 December – Throw Screen Installation on Honeypot Road
- Expressway closed between Main South Road Hackham (beginning of the Expressway at the Southern end) to Beach Road Interchange - Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights from around 7-8:00pm to 7-8:00am.
- Honeypot Road closed from 7:00pm Friday 7 December to 6:00am Tuesday 11 December.
14-16 December – Throw Screen Installation on Beach Road & Elizabeth Road
- Expressway fully closed between Main South Road Hackham (beginning of the Expressway at the Southern end) to Sheriffs Road Interchange - 7:30pm Friday 14 December to 6:00am Monday 17 December.
- Elizabeth Road closed from 7:00pm Friday 14 December to 6:00am Monday 17 December.
- Beach Road will stay open however speed and lane restrictions will be in place.
Emergency services and public transport will be able to use the Expressway as per normal.