State Member for Norwood
Leader of the Opposition
Electorate Office Contact Details:
U2 90-94 The Parade
Norwood SA 5067
Parliament Office Contact Details:
Parliament House, North Terrace, Adelaide SA 5000
||(08) 8237 9295
||(08) 8237 9126
Steven Marshall is a 45 year-old local, who has lived in the Norwood area most of his adult life. Having completed his secondary schooling in South Australia, Steven then studied for a Bachelor of Business at the University of SA and completed an MBA at Durham University in the UK. Steven has two children – Charlie and Georgie.
Prior to entering politics, Steven had significant involvement in family businesses. His father established a South Australian furniture manufacturing business which sold furniture Australia-wide. In 1997 he became Managing Director of this firm which employed over 200 people. In 2001, the business was purchased by overseas interests and Steven then worked for the new owner. Prior to entering the Parliament Steven was the General Manager of Michell Pty Ltd’s Textile Division – the iconic South Australian company exporting wool and textiles throughout the world.
Steven has also served on a number of corporate and not-for-profit boards. Steven was the founding Chairman of Compost for Soils, a program which was developed here in SA and has since been adopted nationally. He was nominated in the 2009 SA Great South Australian of the Year (Environment Category).
Steven has been active in community service for his entire life and is currently an Ambassador for Spastic Centres of South Australia (SCOSA). In 2001, he received a Centenary of Federation Medal for services to the disability sector. Steven is seeking to represent all people in Norwood to ensure that our electorate gets the critical services and infrastructure it needs and that we have a strong and active voice representing our interests in Parliament.
Named after a village in England, the area was first laid out in 1838 and became an electoral district one hundred years later.
Area: approx. 14.6 km2
Location: Located east of the Adelaide city parklands, the district contains some of the older suburbs of Adelaide as well as numerous small business enterprises. Some boundary changes at the 2007 redistribution.
History: The district was created in 1936.