Jul 06, 2012
Isobel Redmond MP
Leader of the Opposition
Shadow Minister for the Arts, Multicultural Affairs and ICAC
When the going gets tough Premier Weatherill disappears.
It’s been a tumultuous two months for the Weatherill Labor Government:
- Premier Weatherill’s budget delivered the State’s highest ever deficit and the State’s biggest ever debt
- Premier Weatherill’s Government lost South Australia’s AAA credit rating
- Premier Weatherill’s Government embarrassingly failed to consult the local community over the Cadell ferry closure
- Premier Weatherill endorsed the introduction of his Federal Labor buddies’ toxic Carbon Tax
- Premier Weatherill has provided no relief for South Australians suffering from the highest electricity prices in the world
“The common theme of the last two months has been the Weatherill Labor Government’s complete disregard for struggling South Australian families coupled with the Premier’s incredible disappearing act at the first sign of bad news,” Liberal Opposition Leader Isobel Redmond said.
“He was nowhere to be seen in the days immediately following his Government’s record deficit and record debt budget.
“He vanished at the height of the Cadell Ferry debacle, only to miraculously reappear once he had some good news to announce.
“And now, in a happy coincidence, the Premier is absent just as South Australians begin to count the cost of the carbon tax.
“South Australians deserve better than a fair-weather Premier. If Premier Weatherill doesn’t have the stomach to face up to his Government’s bad decisions and face the South Australian public when they are suffering, then he does not deserve to remain Premier.